For unwanted hair
IPL SHR Hair Removal
LASER and Intense Pulsed Light also known as IPL hair removal treatments are the safest, fastest, most effective method to permanently reduce unwanted facial and body hair for men and women, under the right conditions.
What is Intense Pulsed Light or IPL Hair Removal?
IPL and LASER hair removal treatments use specific wavelengths of light to heat the pigmented cells in the hair during its active growing stage without affecting the surrounding skin. This heat radiates to the surrounding stem cells that form the hair, and if enough heat is produced it will destroy them.
An average of 70% to 95% hair reduction can be expected, and what is remaining is generally lighter and finer. No IPL or LASER system can achieve 100% hair removal.
This will not work if you have white, grey, light blonde or red hair or if the hair is lighter than your skin colour.
Note: IPL hair removal treatments can provide permanent results as effective, if not better than LASER hair removal if certain factors are applied simultaneously. These are essential to achieve permanent results, safely and effectively within a reasonable number of treatments.
If not, you will only temporarily retard the hair growth, which will slowly return once your series of treatments ends.
What Can It Treat?
IPL Hair Removal is most effective on darker hair with lighter skin types. It can be used on darker skin and lighter hair, though more treatments may be required.
What Are The Benefits of IPL Hair Removal?
- No need for messy waxes or gels
- Permanently reduce unwanted dark facial and body hair
- No embarrassing stubble
- Great for sufferers of ingrown hairs
- Clean, smooth skin at any time
- Stop or reduce the frequency of shaving
- Feel cooler and more comfortable
- Be ready for any occasion
Contraindications (Reasons why IPL may not be suitable for you)
- Recent sunburn
- Unprotected sun exposure or solarium use 4 weeks prior to treatment
- History of seizures
- Severe dermatitis or eczema (within the treatment area)
- Active infections
- Roaccutane use in the last 6 months
- Herpes 1 or 2 (within the treatment area)
- Very dark skin
- White, grey and red hair
- Removing hair by the root in the treatment area e.g. waxing or tweezing 4 weeks prior to treatment
- Photo sensitising medications are best avoided.
How Many Treatments Do You Need and How Often?
Hair grows in 3 phases. IPL can only treat the hair within one of these phases called anagen. This is when the hair is growing and there are actively dividing cells in the hair follicle.
At any given time, there is only a certain percentage of hair in anagen. This is why IPL must be performed over a number of sessions with a specific time span between treatments to achieve the best result.
How Do You Prepare Your Skin?
- Discontinue sun exposure 4 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Do not use fake tan 1-2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Use an SPF 30 daily.
- Do not wax, tweeze or pluck the hair for 4 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Shaving or depilatory creams are fine and you will need to shave the treatment site before your IPL hair removal session.
If you have a history of herpes close to the area being treated, it is recommended that you take antiviral medication before the treatment. (This will be available from the chemist).